Stenosing tenosynovitis of the extensor digitorum tendons of the hand: clinical and sonographic features.

  • Moraux Antoine
  • Le Corroller Thomas
  • Aumar Aurelien
  • Bianchi Stefano

  • Humans
  • Female
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Tendon Entrapment/diagnostic imaging
  • Tenosynovitis/diagnostic imaging
  • Hand
  • Hand/diagnostic imaging
  • Tendon entrapment
  • Tendons/diagnostic imaging
  • Ultrasound
  • Wrist


OBJECTIVE: To describe the ultrasound (US) features of 18 patients with extensor digitorum communis stenosing tenosynovitis (EDCST). MATERIALS AND METHODS: A retrospective search in the radiologic information systems of two separate Institutions was performed to identify all patients presenting EDCST between January 2010 and September 2019. A total of 18 patients (ten males and eight females; mean age, 57.4 years) were identified and included. Sonographic examinations were retrospectively reviewed by two senior radiologists to assess morphologic changes and power Doppler activity of the extensor retinaculum (ER) and of the extensor digitorum communis (EDC) tendons and sheath. The presence of dynamic impingement between the EDC and the ER was evaluated using video clip records. RESULTS: At the ultrasound, all patients (18/18; 100%) presented thickening of both the ER and EDC tendons associated with EDC tendon sheath effusion. Power Doppler hyperemia of the ER was inconstant and observed in 11 cases (11/18; 61.1%) as tendon sheath effusion observed in 16 cases (16/18; 88.9%). A cyst located inside the EDC of the index finger was observed in three of these patients (3/18; 17%). Dynamic examination showed impingement of the EDC against the ER during active tendon extension in all patients (18/18; 100%). Four of these patients (4/18; 22%) underwent surgery allowing diagnosis confirmation and release of EDCST, while the remaining fourteen patients (14/18; 78%) were either treated conservatively or using US-guided steroid injection. CONCLUSION: US findings of EDCST include thickening of the ER and EDC tendons, EDC tendon sheath effusion, and in some cases presence of an EDC intratendinous cyst. Impingement of the EDC tendons against the ER is well demonstrated using dynamic US.